In the 19th century Annerley Terrace was amongst the most historic roads in the emerging town of Port Elizabeth. Many of the newly minted elite resided here on what was previously the Garrison’s land. Like most streets on the Hill, as it was called, Annerley Terrace, was short, running from Gordon Terrace to Bird Street.
Main picture: Annerley Terrace in1867. In the foreground is a camp on the Military Reserve. Behind it on the left is the house built c1850 for William Henderson. but later it was the home of H. H. Solomon. Then come the homes of Sir Frederick Blaine (“Bay View House”) & Sir Edgar Walton (“Annerley House”) whch is still standing. In the centre is “Annerley Terrace”, built by 1864 for John Paterson
Hirsch was born at Port Elizabeth in February 1883. He was educated in England at Shrewsbury School, where he played cricket, football and rugby union for the school. From Shrewsbury, he went up to Clare College at the University of Cambridge, where he studied history. While studying at Cambridge, he played first-class cricket for Cambridge University Cricket Club in 1903 and 1904, making four appearances. He also made two appearances during the same period for London County, captained by W. G. Grace. In six first-class matches, Hirsch scored 144 runs at an average of 15.09 and a high score of 56, which was his only first-class half century. He played rugby union for Cambridge University R.U.F.C., with marked success.
After graduating from Cambridge, Hirsch returned to South Africa where he played rugby for Eastern Province. He impressed enough to be selected for the first Springbok team for their 1906–07 tour of Europe as a three-quarter back, playing one Test match on the tour against Ireland at Belfast. He later made a second Test match appearance against Great Britain at Johannesburg in 1910.
An ardent sportsman, he represnted Eastern Province at cricket and golf and asked for his ashes to be spread on the PECC pitch after his death.
He joined his father’s business. In 1910 he built the magnificent house Harland in Annersley Terrace which later became the Maritime Club.
Hirsch died at Wynberg in February 1958.
Hills Covered with Cottages: Port Elizabeth’s Lost Streetscapes by Margaret Harradine (2010, Express Copy & Print, Port Elizabeth)
Details on Hirsch from Wikipedia