The first major extension to the harbour after the construction of the Charl Malan Quay was reclamation of land on the seaward side of the Charl Malan Quay in 1938. The company which did the dredging, first built a new sea wall parallel to the old one at the distance required for the extra width that had been planned and then a dredger pumped sand from the sea bed into this space to build up a base for the new section.
Main picture: Reclamation at Victoria Quay in 1938
The dredging company was a Dutch one known locally by the name of Hamm Dredging. Officially the Dutch company, founded in 1909, was
called the Hollandsche Aanneming Maatschappij or H.A.M. from The Hague (and Rotterdam) . It is now a part of Van Oord in Rotterdam that celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2018.
This company has published a book detailing the history of Dutch Dredging