Up until the late 1700s, this area was teaming with wild game with large herds of elephants abounding. Various explorers and adventurers attested to the fact that this part of the country once boasted incredibly dense populations of most of the species encountered in South Africa. Until recently, none of these animals could be seen in this area anymore. Now, a recently opened game park has put this to rights.
This blog has been based almost exclusively on the Heritage Impact Assessment by Jenny Bennie.
Main picture: Homestead of Henry Bailey Christian from 1889 to 1892
Origin of the name and early history
The name Kragga Kamma is of Khoikhoi origin and stems from the Gonoqua tribe. Its earliest form it was called // Kraxa/kamma (// kara – meaning pebbles in the river and kamma being a corruption of the Khoi word // gami – meaning water). It is also surmised that it might have meant “fresh” or “sweet” water, comparing the valuable fresh water lake in the area with the salt pans some distance away.
The fact that water was to be found at a given locality was of utmost importance in a country where it was so sparsely distributed. In the 1700’s the whole area between the Van Staden’s River and the headwaters of the Baakens River was known as “Kragga Kamma” (now restricted to the land between Surrey Hills and Kabega). A number of travellers passed through Kragga Kamma e.g. Beutler (1752) -“Cracha Camma”; the Swedes Thunberg (1773), and Sparrman (1775) who mentions “ passing through several dales or bogs of different sizes… just south of Kraggakamma”; governors Swellengrebel (1776) – “Kraggakamma”; Van Plettenberg (1778), Paterson (1779) – “Krakakamma”; and Sir John Barrow (1797). The area was described as an excellent extent of land between the Van Staden’s and Swartkops Rivers.
The route followed by the travellers was along a line from the Gamtoos River, through the Van Staden’s River to the ‘seashore”, there being no settlement at Port Elizabeth at that time. Fort Frederick was built by the British in 1799. As early as 1790 it is recorded that farms in existence in the area included those of Cornelius Kok at Kragga Kamma and Adolf Landman and Theunis Botha at Buffelsfontein.
The ‘farms’ in the district were subject to invasions and Van Reenen in his journal gives a list of 470 farms from the Langkloof and Gamtoos River to the Swartkops River that were “burnt, destroyed and deserted”. A band of Xhosa reputedly invaded the Kragga Kamma area during The War of the Axe in 1846. Well-known botanist, William John Burchell’s field notes recorded finding interesting specimens at “Krakakamma” – near the farm-house in 31/1/1814”. This was the property of Daniel Potgieter, just beyond Van Staden’s River. After 1814 travellers no longer mentioned Kraggakamma, as Port Elizabeth and Uitenhage had become developed towns and it was not a point of reference.
In 1845 Mary and John Niblett settled on the farm now called Theescombe in Kragga Kamma, the original dwelling of the old loan-farm Nooitgedacht (only about 7 miles from Port Elizabeth). It was originally owned at the end of the 18th Century by Cornelius van Rooyen, a renowned frontier fighter. The farm was later in the possession of the Frames family and after them, Bob Parker Nance.
Henry Bailey Christian, who was in business with his father-in-law, J Owen Smith, and the first Vice Chairman of the Chamber of Commerce in Port Elizabeth, owned and farmed Kragga Kamma from c1860 onwards. He was also involved with the Harbour Board, Horse Racing, the Jockey Club and the Agricultural Society. In 1899 mules arriving at Port Elizabeth for the Anglo-Boer War were taken to H B Christian’s farm at Kragga Kamma for a time before being sent inland as part of the war effort (hence the carving on the tree at Farm 23 Cragga Kamma).
In the 1930’s the family of H B Christian sold the farm when the Cape of Good Hope Bank failed and Charles Clark of Buffelsfontein, and his brothers, bought parts of Hillside, The Gums and The Flats. Mrs Bunny Clark recalls going to Kragga Kamma in 1946. The old homestead on the property reputedly had gardens that rivalled St George’s Park. The floods of 1968 caused huge damage as an alluvial stream in the garden compounded matters. The farm ran the “Kragga Kamma Ayrshire Dairies” and delivered milk to the public.
In this case, the main connections are on the distaff side of of the family. One of my mother’s friends, before she was married, was one of the Clark girls. In addition, her brother Redvers Dix-Peek, owned a small holding, Dixie, in the main Kragga Kammer Road.
Heritage Impact Assessment by Jennie Bennie:
Harradine, Margaret. 1996 Port Elizabeth E. H. Walton Packaging (Pty) Ltd Port Elizabeth South Africa
Lorimer, E.K. 1971 Panorama Balkema, Cape Town
Maingard, L.F. 1961 KraggaKamma – Origin of the name and early history. Africana Notes and News 14:8
Pettman, Reverend Charles South African Place Names Lowry Publishers Johannesburg
Scott, Helene 1966 The Society Outing to Farms in the Kragga Kama Region Looking Back Vol 6
Skead, C.J. 2004. The ALGOA Gazetteer : Rural Place names in the NINE East Cape districts of Albany, Alexandria, Bathurst, Humansdorp, Port Elizabeth, Steytlerville, Uitenhage, Uniondale (in part), and Willowmore … revised edition. Port Elizabeth: DTP Revision by Bluecliff Publishing.
Looking Back, 1980 Vol 20:22, 26
EP Herald 1946 May 4 Odd Spot Kragga Kamma