The building on the northern corner of White’s Road opposite Market Square was originally built in 1861 by Paterson, the owner of the Eastern Province Herald. In 1864, just after the construction of the grand Town Hall was completed, he named the building the Herald Chambers”, and relocated his newspaper there.
In March 1884, the department store,
Cleghorn and Harris, was opened in “Herald Chambers” in the Market
Square. A decade later, in January 1894, they purchased the
This store was located in a prime location overlooking
the pivotal point in Port Elizabeth. It was not the hoi polloi and the
down-at-the-heel who were attracted to the restaurant with its view of the Town
Hall but the elite.
Main picture: Cleghorn’s Building burnt down on the 6th May 1896
Over a period of several decades, the dog had been transformed from an animal into a pet, a mongrel into a pure-bred. Thus, the threat of mass canicide to obviate the menace of rabies in 1893 was met with implacable opposition by these canine owners. By the time that the harsh restrictions such as muzzling and tethering were relaxed in December 1893, 1,917 dogs had been destroyed and one human died, Lydia Gates.
Yet again, class played a prominent role in how the epidemic was dealt with.
Main picture: Prize dogs in Port Elizabeth in 1895 Continue reading
Among the pantheon of buildings arranged around the Town Hall during the “classical” period of the town, was the Cleghorn’s Building. It is important not to forget that this building had a much more illustrious past as it initially served as the Herald’s offices after it relocated here from Titterton Lane just off Main Street.
Main picture: The original building at the foot of White’s Road, then occupied by the Eastern Province Herald