Initially the Presbyterians in Port Elizabeth could not afford their own church so they supported the “New Church,” an Independent Church, from 1853. This church was located at the corner of Main and Donkin Streets. Finally, in 1861 they were able to support their own church.
Accordingly, they built a magnificent Gothic style church in a prominent position on the hill which is visible from Algoa Bay.
Main picture: View of the Hill Presbyterian Church from Donkin Reserve