On the 9th March 1867, a new newspaper was to see the light of day. Known as the Port Elizabeth Advertiser, it was edited by William Edwards, a printer and bookbinder by profession. It was a free paper, published twice weekly, full of advertisements and items of local interest.
This blog covers the history of this newspaper and its almost fatal fire in 1913.
Main picture: Fire engulfing the offices of the P.E. Advertiser
The first offices of the P.E. Advertiser in 1867 in Main Street. Interestingly, Main Street was initially known albeit unofficially as as High Street before it was given its official name.
After an inauspicious start, the newspaper almost ceased publication in 1913 when it suffered a fire.
Fortunately, the newspaper did recover from this disaster.
The one significant campaign that the P.E. Advertiser gave its support to arose in 1936. Even though the construction of the Campanile had been completed in 1922, there had been insufficient funds to acquire bells. It was not that fund raising had ceased in the intervening years but due to the fact that only £850 had been available for the purpose of installing bells.
This was the year, however, when all the British Empire was celebrating the Silver Jubilee of King George V and the installation of the desired carillon seemed a fitting expression of gratitude for the sovereign’s memorable reign.
The citizens of Port Elizabeth rallied to the occasion with the same persevering spirit exhibited by the early Settlers they were honouring.
In May 1948, the newspaper’s name was amended to the Daily Advertiser. Finally in February 1950, the paper merged with the Saturday Post to become the Evening Post.
Port Elizabeth in Bygone Days by JJ Redgrave
Port Elizabeth: A Social Chronicle to the end of 1945 by Margaret Harradine
Port Elizabeth of Yore: Albany Road
Algoa Bay before the Settlers: Sojourn by Henry Lichtenstein in the Early 1800s
Port Elizabeth of Yore: Captain Jacob Glen Cuyler
Port Elizabeth of Yore: The Growth of the Population
Port Elizabeth of Yore: Murders most Foul
Port Elizabeth of Yore: The Phoenix Hotel
Port Elizabeth of Yore: Echoes of a Far off War
Port Elizabeth of Yore: Main Street in the Tram Era
Lost Artefacts of Port Elizabeth: Customs House
The Great Flood in Port Elizabeth on 1st September 1968
A Sunday Drive to Schoenmakerskop in 1922
Port Elizabeth of Yore: Horse Drawn Trams
Port Elizabeth of Yore: Trinder Square
The Sad Demise of the Boet Erasmus Stadium
Interesting Old Buildings in Central Port Elizabeth:
The Shameful Destruction of Port Elizabeth’s German Club in 1915:
Port Elizabeth of Yore: Cora Terrace:
Port Elizabeth of Yore: The Grand Hotel:
Port Elizabeth of Yore: Whaling in Algoa Bay:
Port Elizabeth of Yore: White’s Road:
Port Elizabeth of Yore: The Slipway in Humewood:
Port Elizabeth of Yore: King’s Beach:
Port Elizabeth of Yore: Russell Road:
Port Elizabeth of Yore: Sand dunes, Inhabitants and Animals:
Port Elizabeth of Yore: The Horse Memorial:
Port Elizabeth of Yore: Target Kloof:
The Parsonage House at Number 7 Castle Hill Port Elizabeth
What happened to the Shark River in Port Elizabeth?
A Pictorial History of the Campanile in Port Elizabeth
Allister Miller: A South African Air Pioneer & his Connection with Port Elizabeth
The Three Eras of the Historic Port Elizabeth Harbour
The Historical Port Elizabeth Railway Station
The Royal Visit to Port Elizabeth in 1947